I love this tool for creating amazing gifs on the fly. Check it out here
The Instagram algorithm is a real challenge for brands and influencers who want to grow their audience.
If you’re looking to expand your reach on the platform and make sure that your content is being seen by the right people, it’s imperative that your Instagram strategy includes the best keywords.
We know that hashtags are one of the most important tools in any social media campaign. Using relevant hashtags will help your photo appear when users search for related terms. But which words should you use? Instagram is a visual platform where users connect with images first and foremost.
Although text won’t necessarily hurt your image, choosing keywords that are specific to your niche and audience will give you an edge over other accounts. This article explores all the ins and outs of finding and using the best keywords for Instagram as a brand or an influencer.
Keywords for Instagram GIFs
GIFs are one of the most popular posts on Instagram, and they’re also a great way to incorporate keywords into your feed.
Because GIFs are a mix of images and text, you can include as many keywords as you want so long as they’re legible. If you’re not sure where to start with keyword research, try searching for trending GIFs on Instagram and see what keywords you can find.
If you can’t find any GIFs related to your niche or product, try creating your own and posting them to different groups and communities.
How to Find the Best Instagram Hashtags
Before you start using keywords in your hashtags, you need to find the best ones.
The good news is that there are a couple of ways to do this. First, you can use Instagram’s search function. Type in a keyword and explore related terms. Hold down the “view more” button to explore related hashtags.
Instagram will also show you the best performing and most commonly used hashtags for that term. If you’re looking for a broader list of options, you can use a keyword research tool like Hubspot’s Explora.
This is a great option if you want a wider range of suggestions once you’ve found a few terms to focus on.
Keywords You Should Never Use
Instagram wants to make sure that everyone sees your content, and they don’t want people to miss out because they weren’t searching for the right terms.
Therefore, the platform uses a series of algorithms to surface relevant posts to the right users at the right time. You can’t target all your hashtags, and not all keywords will work for you.
But if you choose wisely, you can significantly boost your visibility and engagement. There are certain terms that are so generic that they will never help you stand out from the crowd.
Avoid general keywords like “fashion”, “beauty” and “food” at all costs. These terms are overused by everyone, and you won’t get any engagement for them anyway.
3 Types of Words to Use in Your Hashtags
Now that you know which keywords to use, you need to know which words to pair them with.
In most cases, you’ll want to use 2-3 hashtags per post. We’ve prepared a list of the best types of words to include in your Instagram hashtags:
– Alternative Words: You can use alternative words when two or more words have a similar meaning. When you use an alternative word, you are pairing two different words that have a broader meaning.
For example, if you wanted to use the word “camera” in your caption, you could use the word “photography” as an alternative.
– Synonyms: Synonyms are different words that have the same or extremely similar meaning. For example, if you wanted to use the word “photography” in your caption, you could use another word that has the same meaning like “camera.”
These types of words are effective when you are not sure which words to use, or if you want to use more than one word in your caption.
– Related Words: Related words are words that are related in terms of meaning, but are not exactly the same. For example, if you wanted to use the word “camera” in your caption, you could use another word that is related to photography, like “photo.”
These types of words are effective when you are trying to use one word, but you want to make sure that your post is relevant to a wider audience.
Finding the Right Words: Alternatives, Synonyms, and Related Words
When you are looking for the best keywords to use in your Instagram posts, you want to find terms that are as specific as possible while still being relevant to a wide audience.
Finding the right words to use is a bit of a process, but it’s worth it when you see the results. Here are some ways to find the best keywords for Instagram:
– Use competitor analysis: This might seem like an obvious starting point, but you can’t succeed without knowing where you stand today. Check out your competitors’ most popular posts and see what terms they’re using.
– Conduct keyword research: Use keyword research to find your main terms. You can use online tools like SEMrush or Keyword Explorer to discover popular terms in your niche.
– Think about your brand: Your brand is the most important thing when it comes to picking keywords. Choose words that represent you and your values, and that are distinctive and unique.
– Test your choices: If you can, try using different keywords on a smaller scale beforehand to see what works best. Test out different variations and see which ones get the most likes and comments.
Instagram is a visual platform, so it makes sense that your hashtags should be visual too. Using the right keywords in your posts is the easiest way to make sure your content is seen by the right people.
When used correctly, hashtags are a great way to engage with your followers, expand your reach, and drive traffic to your website. Whether you’re using GIFs or still images, the best keywords for Instagram will vary from person to person.
In order to find the best terms for your feed, you need to do some research. You can use competitor analysis to find popular terms among your rivals. Or you can use keyword research to discover what terms your target audience is using.
No matter which method you choose, there’s no doubt that adding the right keywords to your posts will help you get ahead in the competition.